- 2 c. (4 sticks) butter, at room temperature, divided
- 3/4 c. granulated sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 3/4 tsp. almond extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 3/4 c. flour
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/3 c. honey
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1 lb. (about 5 1/4 c.) sliced almonds
- Carefully line a 10x15-inch jelly roll pan with aluminum foil, shiny side up. In a bowl of an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat 1 cup (2 sticks) butter until creamy, about 1 minute. Gradually add 1/2 cup granulated sugar and beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, almond extract and salt and beat until thoroughly combined. Reduce speed to low, add flour and mix until just incorporated. Press dough evenly into pan and push dough up sides. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Using a fork, prick dough in 20 to 24 places all across dough and bake 10 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine brown sugar, honey, remaining 1 cup (2 sticks) butter and remaining 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to medium-high, bring mixture to a boil and cook for 3 minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and stir in cream. Stir in almonds. Spread almond mixture evenly over crust. Return pan to oven and bake until bubbling, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and transfer pan to a wire rack to cool. While bars are still slightly warm, cut into triangles.
- Makes about 6 dozen cookies.
*Note: This recipe must be prepared in advance. From Charlotte Midthun of Granite Falls, Minn.